The diagnosis of erectile dysfunction today does not sound as terrible as it used to be some decades ago. Today, it is accepted as an irritating, annoying disorder, but not the end of one’s life. Men know that this disorder can be treated with modern drugs, and even if you have a severe ED, bordering on complete impotence, you still can have sex (and hope!) using some popular pills.
What ED Drugs are Available in the USA?
If you go to a doctor with your intimate problem, namely the inability to achieve an erection, you’ll be prescribed one of three drugs: Viagra, Cialis or Levitra.
All of them are produced by major world-known brands, and all of them are available in America:
- Viagra (sildenafil) is the oldest ED drug of this category. It is well known all over the world, and its popularity is really enormous.
- Cialis (tadalafil) is known as the most long-acting pill. It works for up to 36 hours, which is very convenient and highly appreciated by men.
- Levitra (vardenafil) is the fastest-acting option. It starts working within 15 minutes after administering. Also, it can be mixed with alcohol.
All the drugs are effective, safe, and reliable, but all of them have at least one big downfall – they are expensive. It’s no surprise that men wonder whether cheaper options exist. The answer is positive – such drugs exist (they are called generics), but they are not available in the USA, at least on the official pharmaceutical market. However, they are sold everywhere in Asia as well as in many European countries. If you happen to travel often, you can make use of this and buy effective generic options of the expensive brands at a very attractive price.
Generics of PDE-5 Inhibitors Overview
First of all, it is necessary to understand that generics contain the same active ingredients as the original drugs – sildenafil, tadalafil, or vardenafil. Their additional components can vary slightly, but these components do not influence their efficiency and efficacy.
When it comes to choosing a generic drug, many customers get lost in the diversity of the available products. In fact, it is not difficult to make a choice. You must consider three key criteria when buying:
- the active ingredient;
- the dose of active ingredient;
- the dosage form.
For example, if you typically use Viagra 50 mg, and it works for you, just look for generics with a content of sildenafil 50 mg. You don’t even have to look at the name of the remedy, as they are produced by different companies and can be available under different names. The active ingredient is the only thing that really matters.
Dosage Forms of Generics Pills
One of the advantages of generic options, apart from their affordable price, is the diversity of dosage forms. Original brands produce only conventional film-coated tablets, which don’t suit some people for a variety of reasons. As for generic pills, a variety of forms can be found:
- traditional film-coated pills;
- dissolvable sublingual pills (ideal for those who can’t bear swallowing whole tablets);
- chewable pills with a pleasant mint or fruit flavor;
- oral strips (they are put on the tongue and dissolved right in the mouth);
- jelly (looks and tastes like a real fruit jelly);
- nasal spray (for those who hates the taste of the drug);
- patches (they are attached to the body and absorbed into the blood through the skin).
As a rule, the efficiency of the drug doesn’t depend on its dosage form. So you can choose what you like most or try several different options to compare. But keep in mind that irrespective of the dosage, you must not take the drug more than once a day.